I remember something from last year, where the english teachers were saying they had all these creative students in junior years, and suddenly when they hit senior school, it's gone. At first I couldn't understand, and even through the year I never really understood.
I noticed something today. My life has become based around school. Education. The HSC. Whatever you want to call it. Our lives (or what is left socially) revolves around exams. Think about it. Even when we go out with friends, we're always like, hmm.. after exams. Or just holidays. Yeah. Everything I do seems to be timetabled, time and effort maximised and only done if it helps me in some way at school. Nearly everything I've done these holidays is for, well, school. With the except of writing a few random things and reading a book. And watching tv shows. It's annoying because I still haven't done all my work for the holidays. Every other person I've talked to not at ruse seems to not have gotten any work (yeah even selective kids).
I guess we do better because we just work a lot harder.
No wonder we're so good at school. Too bad I don't seem to be good at much else.
And in all honesty Year 12 has not dawned on me yet; I don't have a clue if I'm going to do anything that's going to make this year different. I have a strange feeling I'll be treating it the same way as I do every other year - important, but not taking over everything else. I don't know if it's a good thing or not because I can already see people starting to work extra hard in preparation. I took a step back.
The way the give us work and expect us to be working 10000000x harder than before means we put aside things deemed 'unimportant' and prioritise, well uh, school. Work. Though yay! means more work for us and better exam results and everything (which is all good, truly, don't get me wrong) but what happens to all the things that involve creativity and critical thinking? They expect us to still have this when we're not given any time to develop these skills? Its a bit unfair really.
I was reading a book (and honestly it wasn't that great, just gave me insight on the 20's teehee) and I finally understood a song afterwards. It's strange, what books can do. Worlds that can make you cry, laugh or smile, worlds that make you hate your own world or worlds that bring you joy since reality could be much, much worse.
One more thing. I didn't know this when Burgess was asking us in Year 10 what we wanted to tell the teachers to do in the future for english, but I do now. They really should teach us some skills that are vital later on. Though maybe they do and no one seems to understand how critically important they are until much later on. Not too late, but still, late.
If only we treated english the same way we treat maths. I wonder what that would be like. Oh its the same with science. Though not as bad. Maybe.
I always laugh and say I went to the wrong school. I still don't know if I'm right or not.
Btw thanks for the good day yesterday you two. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment