Tuesday, September 16, 2014

End of an era, start of an age

We graduated from high school yesterday. We had our farewell luncheon today. We have our beach day tomorrow.

I don't feel sad, happy or nostalgic. I don't really mind that I'm graduating and I don't really feel like I'm leaving yet. It feels as though we're going to come back tomorrow and next week and the next few months as though we're just going to school once more. But the reality is that we aren't - yet it hasn't quite sunk in yet. 

I turn 18 tomorrow, and I feel no different. I'm just ordinary me who has more responsibility, a legally responsible adult and the ability to drink alcohol legally. It's so glorified - I'm sure I'll realise soon enough that this is true. 

I don't quite want to leave, but I think it's time. It's time to say goodbye to this place, this era, these six years of our lives. It's been such a big part of my life so far - I did so much growing up here from personality, different friends and developing a strong sense of the values I uphold (still going - see me in a few years if you want to know how this turns out haha). I know that I've changed a lot, and I'm quite happy with who I am here because it's comfortable. It's nice here. But I think after year 11 musical, prefects and graduation/final assembly, I've seen and know too much about how the school is run, how events are organised and everything because tedious and the same. A pattern has been developed - and I guess I'm not learning much anymore. As year 12s, we're so disconnected from the school. The time to shine is during year 10-11. They're the best years because you know the seniors, and you know the juniors. Senior years aren't bad either (bar the exams) but life becomes rather crazy and sometimes you forget certain things that you value during your younger years, and you might find yourself doing things that you didn't expect to. It's a time that shows the best and the worst of your cohort and your friends, and it's when friendships are developed or broken. 

I'm sitting in W1.2 right now, and I think what I'll miss most about this place is seeing my friends every day in and out of class, and the vibrant atmosphere created by the src and the prefect body. But that last part was gone a few years ago already. 

Ruse - thank you for the last 6 years. It's been a wonderful, life changing experience and I wouldn't want to change it because it's made me who I am. I wouldn't go back and relive it either haha. If you've read this blog since my year 7 days, thanks for sticking with me. If you read this blog, thanks for reading my friend. 
My fellow rusies - DFTBA and I love you rusefourteen. <3